Freshman Scholars Institute (FSI)
Resident College Adviser (RCA) Contract
Apply HERE by Monday, March 16th!
The FSI RCA position is a summer leadership position for experienced Princeton undergraduates. FSI RCAs work closely with small groups of student advisees to promote an appreciation of the diverse Princeton residential community and to foster a welcoming, safe, and stimulating environment for all residents of the program.
During the summer, FSI RCAs will work closely with FSI’s Resident Graduate Students (RGS’s) and the FSI Staff to assist FSI scholars in the transition to college life and provide guidance as they develop responsible decision-making skills in social, personal, and academic spheres. RCAs provide support as students in their advisee groups manage health and adjustment issues, roommate relationships, and the demands of academic work and extracurricular activities. They also employ their familiarity with campus resources to serve as vital communications links between all offices and organizations of Princeton and FSI students. FSI RCAs are mature, generous and thoughtful campus leaders who seek to work collaboratively with staff and administration to create a warm, welcoming environment for the entire FSI community.
FSI RCAs will receive:
- Room and board, beginning on June 22nd and ending on August 18th (by 9:00 am)
- A stipend of $500
- A social budget to be used on study breaks for zees
- Intensive and inclusive leadership training during both the Spring semester and Summer, including facilitation, mentoring, and communication skills. (Dates below)
- Individualized academic and professional development opportunities; for example: group sessions on resume-building, writing cover letters, drafting personal statements, preparing for independent work, etc.
Requirements and Expectations
Spring 2020 (Pre-FSI commitment)
- Attending professional development trainings and staff meetings
- Communicating with and disseminating information to accepted Freshman Scholars
- With the guidance of a DSL, the Associate Director of FSI, and an RGS, planning and organizing student activities during the FSI period (for example, weekend trips, special activity nights, etc.)
Summer 2020 (Program Commitment)
During the length of the program (June 22nd-August 18th), FSI RCAs should plan to spend approximately 20 hours per week on the following activities:
- Attending and participating in a 2-day RCA Training on June 24th and 25th, all-day FSI move-in on June 27th, all-day 2-day FSI Orientation on June 28th and 29th, weekly Core Meetings (day TBD), and weekend trips and activities.
- Providing mentorship as well as social, emotional and academic support to Freshman Scholars by facilitating interactive and meaningful connections among students
- Planning, organizing and implementing weekly study breaks, weekend outings and other small-scale social events for Freshman Scholars
- Assisting in connecting students to a range of resources on campus
- Being available each evening after 5pm and on weekends
- Managing a budget of approximately ~$35/zee
- With the guidance of a DSL, the Associate Director of FSI, and an RGS, planning and organizing student itineraries for various field trips and activities through the summer.
- Helping to organize and implement programming for “fall transition week” and “gap week” from August 13th-18th
- Fostering a safe, inclusive and hospitable environment for all students through warm, responsible and mature behavior
Move-in for RCAs: June 22
RCA/All Staff Training: June 24-25
FSI Student Move-in and Parent Orientation: June 27
FSI Student Orientation: June 28-29
College Night – TBD
Bi-Weekly Colloquia and Family Dinner – Wednesday evenings
Mid-Semester Check-In: July 17
FSI Re-Orientation: August 13-14
Official Move-out Date for students into year-long room: Aug. 18
Please note that the above dates do not include weekend trips, social events and activities. If you plan to be away at any time during the program dates (June 20- August 18), please talk with Dr. Ashlee Shaw (email@example.com) and Momo Wolapaye (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Additionally, it is university policy that students MUST vacate campus housing between the move-out date (August 18) and official undergraduate move-in date (DATE?). It is incumbent upon the RCA to secure their own housing during this time, prior to this period. If you have questions or concerns about this policy (including regarding ways one might secure campus housing during this period), do not hesitate to contact Dr. Ashlee Shaw (email@example.com).